Code of Conduct
It’s important that you and your fellow members feel welcome at the YMCA. Our code of conduct embodies the spirit of the Y, and is intended to help everyone feel comfortable and thrive.
As a member, participant or guest, you agree to follow this code of conduct, which is rooted in the values of caring, honesty, responsibility and respect. That’s why the following activities are prohibited in all YMCA facilities and programs:
Inappropriate attire. Appropriate attire must be worn at all times. No clothing with vulgar language, obscene gestures, racial slurs, or anything that contributes to a hostile environment or would be considered inappropriate in a family facility. Tops and bottoms should be adequately covered for the activity. Footwear is required in the facility except the aquatics area or for select classes in studios. We reserve the right to deny use of the facility to any person whose attire we do not consider to be appropriate in connection with the public image of the YMCA.
- Inappropriate language. Angry or vulgar language, including swearing, name-calling or shouting.
- Threatening physical contact. Physical contact with another person in any angry or threatening way including “play fighting.”
- Sexual activity. Any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person.
- Harassment / intimidation. Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or any menacing behavior that demeans another person or culture.
- Theft / destruction of property. Theft or behavior that results in the destruction of property.
- Weapons. Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices or objects that may be used as weapons (including items that appear to be real). The YMCA bans all weapons on premises with or without a permit.
- Illegal chemicals or alcohol. Using or possessing illegal chemicals or alcohol on YMCA property, in YMCA vehicles, or at YMCA sponsored programs.
- Inappropriate conduct. Any other conduct of an inappropriate, threatening or offensive nature.
- Loitering. Loitering is not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs.
- Inappropriate cell phone activity. Inappropriate cell phone activity. Cell phone or photographic/video equipment use of any kind – organizing playlists, music, texting, camera functions, video recording – is not permitted in the locker rooms at any time. Phone calls are not allowed in fitness areas.
- Tobacco. The use of tobacco or tobacco-like products, including e-cigarettes, are not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs, or on YMCA property or program sites. YMCA facilities, ground, and vehicles are a tobacco-free environment.
If a member, participant or guest feels uncomfortable in confronting someone directly about offensive behavior or other issues that are in violation of the code of conduct they should report the behavior to a YMCA team member.
To create and maintain a space that embodies our core values, the Y is serious about being clear regarding activities that are not allowed. If you or your invited guests violate this code of conduct, consequences can include termination of membership or program privileges. The YMCA reserves the right to make situational decisions based on its mission and values.